Sunday 31 January 2010

And so Fashion Hustlings has begun! (Hustlingtacular!)

And boy, this site seems so much simpler than Livejournal.

Like everybody else with an interest in fashion who enjoys posting pictures of themselves posing in such a way to emphasise their most pleasing assets on the internet, I've decided to start a fashion blog. Admittedly doing this will be tricky at best since I have very few outfits and not enough money to extend my wardrobe in the way that I would like. Still, hopefully in the future I will be doing this and showing new and interesting outfits all the time.

What inspired me to do this was a combination of factors. Before I became as interested in fashion as I am now, fashion almost seemed like a faraway dream for me. This was partially because my fashion sense was terrible, but mainly it was because I currently stand at 5'5" and weigh 95-100kg. To put it frankly, I believed that I was too fat for fashion. And oh, how very wrong I was.

A friend of mine on Livejournal, luciannamalfoy, suggested that I check out a comm on LJ, fatshionista. Fatshionista, I thought, with an appreciative eyebrow-raise. Well at least they don't beat around the bush. So I checked out this comm and discovered, to my amazement, women, men and genders in between my size if not bigger, displaying pictures of themselves wearing the most amazing combinations of clothing. Did they look thin? Fuck no. They wore clothes that in many cases seemed specially designed to show off the very curves and fleshy bits that mainstream society at present dubs unsightly and shameful. But my God, they were stunning. As was said in an article in The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2010/jan/30/fat-fashion-blogs) yesterday, these people were "staring defiantly at the camera, daring someone to suggest they're not gorgeous". And I wouldn't dare suggest it. They were gorgeous and still are.

So, I figured, why the hell could I not be the same? I had a bit of a look at my limited clothes supply, put together a few outfits, and had my friend snap pictures of me to post. The comments I got were wonderful. I had people telling me that I was gorgeous, that my skirts and boots were fantastic, that my hair was incredible. It was so uplifting that it struck me as bizarre, almost, that people wouldn't make an effort to dress themselves well. The results showed themselves instantly.

So it's a new year now, and I've decided to, above all else, make an effort to make myself look and feel spectacular. The make-up is going on, the time is being spent considering clothes, the hair is being manipulated into interesting shapes and patterns instead of being tied up. I'm embarking on a journey to discover my style, and any readers of this blog will hopefully be joining me.

No comments:

Post a Comment