Saturday 29 January 2011

Dessert-buffet-tacular! And why having a belly can be awesome.

Greetings, watchers! Have you all noticed the subtle change in my name? It seemed criminal of me to have a blog that talks primarily about fat acceptance stuff, and for it to have a title that doesn't reflect its content well. For this reason, I decided to add a T, thereby changing "Fashion" to "Fatshion"; a blend between "Fat" and "Fashion", because that is what this blog is. Or at least what it aims to be.

So, today was pretty fantastic, I have to say. You'll all be relieved to hear that I wore clothes:



I've GOT to start turning my light on before I take these shots. Anyway, my outfit today was admittedly not very interesting, but I wanted to show you all a picture of my purple skinny jeans. Unlike that sorry excuse for skinny jeans I presented a 'before' shot of in my sewing outfit, I can actually call these babies "skinny" without feeling the need to demand that they explain themselves. However, they are INCREDIBLY baggy on the top half. I won't be criticising Asos for this, because fatties are so diverse in their body proportions that it is impossible to make trousers that will fit correctly on each and every one of us. However, needless to say, these jeans require a makeover. And I'll be getting to that arduous task in a few days' time, hopefully.

Anyway, today I gathered up a group of merry men (myself and my friends B and R) and headed to a dessert buffet place in Shibuya, called Sweets Paradise. If anybody out there, anybody at all, is vaguely interested in the prospect of all-you-can-eat cake, this is the place for you.

Behold! Pictures!







And the remaining debris:



After licking our plates clean and thinking that we will quite possibly never have to eat again, we went to karaoke and ended up staying there for three hours. Some of the songs I showed considerably prowess in mimicking (ie. B and R's ears weren't bleeding after I was done with them) were "Telephone" by Lady Gaga, "The Sweet Escape" by Gwen Stefani, "You're My Best Friend" by Queen, and "In My Life" by the Beatles. I wanted dearly to sing "On My Own" from Les Miserables, because the damn song has been in my head for the past three days, but they didn't have it in the song catalogue. We headed home afterwards, feeling full, happy, and as though we'd done something, if not necessarily worthwhile, certainly incredibly fun, today.


People appear to have arrived back here from an event that was taking place tonight at a nearby restaurant (an event I would have gone to, had it not cost 2,500 yen and only been for two hours). And of course, they aren't troubling to keep their voices down. Most considerate of them.

One thing I noticed while sitting in the karaoke room listening to B and R singing obscure K-pop songs, was how I was sitting. I was slouched on the couch, my feet resting on a footstool in front of me. My hands were clasped lightly together and resting on my stomach. And because of the shape and size of my stomach, my hands were able to rest there, quite comfortably, without any danger of falling off and lying to rest awkwardly by my sides.

This got me thinking. If I did not have a stomach that stuck out like mine does, I would not be able to attain such a comfortable yet non-threatening position. If I wanted to put my hands somewhere comfortable like that, but I didn't possess my sort of stomach, I'd probably have to fold my arms. Indeed, I do do this on occasion. But that is a very threatening-looking position, and probably the sort of position you want to avoid when you're out with friends. So instead you're stuck with putting your hands on your legs, or to your sides, which can be kind of awkward. I, however, seem to carry a personal "handstool" (as opposed to "footstool") with me wherever I go.

So amused was I by this discovery, that I decided the time was right for me to make a list of the advantages to having a protruding, squishy belly, flabby arms, a well-padded posterior and wide legs like mine. The disadvantages to having such appendages are plentiful, but I think we can all already name a great many of those so there's not much point in me repeating them. This angle, however, is pretty new. So, here we go:


Fatshion Hustlings' List of Awesome Advantages to Having Body Fat

1. The fat stomach's aforementioned "handstool" use. Very handy when your hands are bothering you and you want to put them somewhere vaguely accessible, so that they can be called on easily when you next need them.

2. Fat people make excellent cushions for other living creatures. So far the only living creatures that have utilised my body for this purpose are my brothers and a few past and present cats. But none of them have issued any complaints about the comfort of my body. In fact, one brother used to use my arm for a cushion, and he once said "It would be sad if you lost weight, in the sense that your arm wouldn't be so comfortable anymore." And I can vouch for that - I use my arms as cushions often. I think this is a particularly good point, however. Let's consider intimate relationships for a moment here. I'm admittedly no expert, but I think one of the great things (and certainly one of the things I'm looking forward to) about a romantic relationship is the ability to draw comfort from each other's bodies. At the moment when I want comfort, I will stroke a cat's fur. In an intimate relationship I can absolutely see myself stroking my lover's hair for comfort. I'll also breathe in the familiar (and really, really nice - don't ask me why) smell of my cat. You get the idea. There's comfort in the familiarity, the warmth, the affection, the uniqueness of it. And fat bodies, in my opinion, are so well-equipped at being a source of comfort for people. We are squishy everywhere, so our hugs are fantastic. We make excellent cushions, so leaning on us is wonderful. And we carry that squishiness with us everywhere. You can even squeeze our arms to relieve stress, if we permit it. I'm kind of happy to know that I can provide that sort of support to people, just by being me.

3. Our fat is kind of fascinating to watch. It jiggles when we move! You can press down on it for ages! It can be poked and prodded and played with! Come on!

4. It protects more vital organs. OK, not entirely sure if that's true. But if it is? Awesome!

Edit: A mate of mine, D, provided me with this link, which shows that, yes, this is in fact true. Or at least it was in the past. :P

5. It is a form of stored energy, so we could potentially live off it for a long while, should food ever become scarce. This is a weak point for a number of reasons, but I'm putting it up anyway. Admittedly, if our bodies were starving, they'd eat up muscle before going to the fat cells, and fat in itself is hardly nutritionally sound enough for humans to survive using their deposits up. But yeah, if I were to be in a famine-like situation (extremely unlikely of course, but for argument's sake let's say it happened) I would last for far longer than people without that sort of emergency storage.

6. It protects us from the cold. I don't really like wearing jumpers. Mainly because in the course of one day I have to wash my hands a few times, and I HATE how wet sleeves feel on my hands. As such I'll avoid wearing jumpers whenever possible. And because I'm fat, that's so much more doable than it would be for a thinner person. My brother is frequently cold.

7. It protects us from injury. An image of Homer Simpson being hit by a cannon ball comes to mind. But yeah, it's true. I rarely get badly injured, even though I'm pretty klutz-y. When I fall down (an event that in itself measures on the richter scale) I'm normally OK to jump right back up again, because it's rare that I'm going to directly hit some bone or joint or something. Most of me is surrounded by a layer of blubber, or the blubber sticks out enough to protect protruding bone in its wake. On the other hand, one very thin friend of mine has bruises down her spine. She says she gets them from lying down, because her spinal column has no protection from the ground, or whatever. Um, OUCH! That would MAJORLY suck. I can't imagine getting injured just from lying down. All around me is soft, reliable padding. You've got to feel sorry for people without it.


That's about all I've got for now. But I think it's a pretty good list so far. And I think that for all fatties it is worth bearing this stuff in mind. Fat acceptance is about "accepting" our fat (because people like things to be spelled out in titles, and all), and that's absolutely great. But maybe part of doing that is to figure out what about our fatness is actually BETTER than what other people have, so that when other people start talking about the disadvantages of being fat, you are able to turn around and say "touche, old boy, but we can ALSO..."

Just a thought.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Gillian! Lol I typed "Gilligan" then corrected it.

    Point 2: Totally true! I'm nice and squishy to lie on as well, and also I can sit on people's laps without hurting them because I have an inbuilt cushion for my butt. Also I can sit on hard chairs for a long period of time, something that bony-butt people can't do. Whereas David has sat on my lap before and it's hurt because his bones protrude and also he is too heavy to sit on me for a prolonged period of time.

    Point 5 - YEAH! Have you seen Man vs Wild? It might have a different name if it's aired in the UK. But in Australia it's called Man vs Wild and it's about Bear Grylls and how he's in all these survival situations and has to hunt and eat alligators and insects and various other gross things. And I always think to myself, if I had the heads up that I was going to be stuck in some survival situation in the middle of the desert or jungle or something, I would use whatever time I had in the meantime to get really obese. Then I would live off my fat stores and not have to eat insects and shit. Literally, he ate shit once. It gave him dysentery. So, I think that this Bear Grylls fellow should get really fat in order to survive better in the wild. But I suppose the point of the show is to demonstrate survival skills like hunting.

    Gosh that's awful about your friend who gets bruises from lying down. If I were her I would carry around a cushion everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once had mean friends that called me that.

    Yeah! You hear what I'm saying! To be honest, because my stomach is round and kind of convex it might not be the greatest of surfaces, but you know... *presses it* it's squishy... :P Aww, poor David. My brother has problems with that as well, I would imagine. I should ask him.

    I have not, and I don't think I want to if eating shit's involved. Remember that part of Life of Pi, or hopefully not because Life of Pi was shit on a sandwich.

    Yeah, my poor friend. Again, my brother might be able to relate.

    I will say one thing (and in the future, maybe, some other things) about being thin though: you're not as likely to snore, because fatness kind of obstructs airflow. Not harmfully, but enough to cause noise. My brother's the only one in my family who doesn't snore. Although out of our two cats the thinner one is the snorer.

    Aww, kitty snoring...

    Not you. Although, you snoring would be kinda cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww I didn’t mean to remind you of your mean friends! Just a typo, was all, what with G being in the middle of the keyboard and my finger was already on it, having pressed the first G in your name!

    Yeah this Bear Grylls fellow is one of David’s idols, I don’t believe he eats shit on a regular basis, only if he is really desperate, and hopefully not even that anymore since he got dysentery from it and should have learned!

    I liked Life of Pi! I thought the first part, where he is philosophising about various religions and other musings, was very thought provoking and well written, and the third part, where they reveal the “true story” (i.e. with the people and not the animals) was amazing, but yeah the second part where he is on the life boat itself (and eats shit) was a bit of a drag.

    Well, I would describe my dad as quite skinny and he snores like crazy, sometimes you can even hear it from downstairs even when my dad is sleeping in his bedroom, which is upstairs, with the door closed! So yeah, maybe he is like your thinner kitty.

    Oh gosh don’t get me started on my snoring! I don’t believe I snore while I’m sleeping on my back or anything, but I have been known to snore whilst sleeping sitting up. David and I catch the bus in to work together quite often and I fall asleep, and then he tells me that I did one snore. Like, a single snort, that was all. And other passengers on the bus apparently turned around to look and everything. It is quite embarrassing!

    ReplyDelete