Wednesday 22 December 2010

England made me ugly!

Well, that's not quite true. Maybe I should explain.

Before I left for England in September 2008, I spent about 8 months working in a stationery store (Officeworks, for all Aussies in the know) in Sydney. In an effort to look respectable, my hair was more or less lovely and straight every day, my make-up was subtle and nice, my uniform suited me well... in short, I looked like this:



Now, after two and a bit years of university and schlumping around to all sorts of different places, I tend to look more like this:



Not bad, I guess - but certainly not as nice as I looked in 2008.

This isn't England's fault. If anything, England has been a massive help for me, because there is much more variety in clothing that I can actually wear, so there is more opportunity for me to create my own style, and I'm slowly, sloooooooowly doing that - it's tough when you never have money.

I think that it's more to do with, above anything else, a lack of need to be hot. This in itself is kind of obscure, because I often feel like I do have a need to look hot, but when I looked hot in Aus, it was always because I had work that day and professionalism said that it would be sloppy of me not to put in a considerable effort with regards to my appearance. On days when I didn't work, I didn't tend to put on make-up or straighten my hair or generally worry as much about how I looked as on days when I did work.

Just a thought.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Gillian, I totally just figured out how to reactivate my blogger account... anyway how did you get a nice background for your blog? My blog is boring and solidly-coloured. Just dropping you a line to tell you that I think your jellybean background thing is pretty. Also I think uni in general makes people a bit more lazy with their appearance. Anyway I am thinking of updating my blog more often, now that uni is kind of on break. I'd like to take my blog in a more fashion-oriented direction, but I don't wear particularly interesting clothes, mostly on-sale stuff, such is the life of a student! Any tips on fashion blogging? Oh I am also bad at cameras, I don't even own one, and am a bit shy with the idea of posting photos of myself on the internet for everyone to see... so perhaps fashion blogging isn't for me :( if you have any tips let me hear them! Hope Japan is going wonderfully, you are so lucky, I'd love to be in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey kitty!
    Erm, good question. I do love my jelly beans! I think I clicked on the design tag and then somewhere along the line there was a link to "pictures", and I looked at the "food and drink" ones, because food is art, yo! and found one of jelly beans, and jelly beans remind me of very important aspects of my childhood, and yeah. In they went.
    Fashion blogging tips? Well if you're a bit shy about posting pictures of yourself on the net (and I don't blame you for that!) maybe it's not for you. I love the stuff that you post though. It's interesting. I think the food celebration, particularly in reference to your asian-ness, is really great stuff. you're an interesting person, kitty. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

    ReplyDelete