Saturday 18 December 2010

Updatetacular.

Gorsh, how long has it been? A year? Bit less? I do apologise for that, all... none of you or so who follow this and were, clearly, waiting with baited breath for my next post. I feel that I've let you down in a big way.

I've got a few fabulous things that I'd like to post on here, and this shall be done in the space of a few blogs. I thought I might take Fashion Hustlings in a different direction, and use this blog as a place to post about all things fat-related, as well as about my personal fashion choices.

The two issues are not completely dissimilar, at least as far as I'm concerned. As an overweight individual, when it comes to fashion, being fat is inevitably always going to be an issue. And that is totally fine - I think that when it comes to fashion and trying to dress oneself in a flattering way, everybody has issues that they need to think about - the colour of their skin/hair/eyes, their overall body shape, what they feel comfortable wearing, etc - and that's all good.

But I think that when it comes to fatness in general, another issue - the stigmatisation of fat people - needs to be recognised. There are, obviously, a LOT of reasons why fat stigmatisation is bad. And believe me, if I am able to keep this blog up and running, I will be addressing these issues in plentiful detail. But mainly I want to think about a well-known situation whereby any person who is fat cannot possibly be attractive or have much variety available to them when it comes to clothes. This is wrong, on so many levels, and I would like to, in some small way, help people to see this.

I'll hopefully also begin linking to other, far better (as in, older) blogs of a similar nature. There are some incredible fat activists out there, all with really poignant ideas and all doing amazing things for the Fat Acceptance and Health at Every Size movements. I think that, fat or not, these sorts of blogs are worth checking out. It's like with anything, really - knowledge is power. I would argue that in mainstream society the very idea of fat acceptance is kind of laughable. Surely fat is bad, after all? It's not healthy. Obesity is a leading cause for so many different diseases and ailments. It's not like other forms of stigmatisation, because people can control how much they weigh, easily (I mean, I control my weight. It's not that hard at all), and stigmatising might help them to become healthier, and surely that's in their best interest?

No. No no no. This is all wrong (yeah, even the diseases one), and I am, hopefully, going to slowly, methodically, show you why.

So, welcome back, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment